ROATH PARISH WAR MEMORIAL

HISTORY

After the fire of 1919, St Edward's Church was rebuilt as a memorial to those who lay down their lives in the First World War. Those commemorated in the memorials are listed below each photograph. Click on the name for more information.

 

 

First World War: 1914 To 1918

First World War Memorial

The inscription: "This church is erected in proud memory of the men who, going out from the four churches of this parish, laid down their lives in the war 1914-1918. Rest eternal grant them, O Lord..

The memorial in honour of the 76 men from the Parish of Roath who lost their lives in the First World War was unveiled on Wednesday, May 7th, 1924, by Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Henry Webb, Bart., MP for Cardiff East. It was dedicated by Rev D.C. Jones M.A., Vicar of Roath. "

 

 

Red Cross Memorial

Red Cross War Memorial

The inscription: "This memorial is erected as a record of the Red Cross hospitals carried on during and after the Great War, 1915-23, by the No. 1 Cardiff East Division of the Glamorgan branch of the British Red Cross Society, and of the deaths which occurred therein: Old Mansion House Red Cross Hospital, September 1915 - December 1916, transferred to St Pierre's Red Cross Hospital, Newport Road, January, 1917 - April 1919; Clyne House Red Cross Hospital for Officers, June 1917 - September 1919, and for pensioners to April, 1923."

The memorial was unveiled by the Dowager Countess of Plymouth on Saturday, 16th February, 1924. It was dedicated by Rev D.C. Jones M.A., Vicar of Roath.

George F. Williams
Thomas Howells
Richard Chambers
Frank Nash
James Taylor
William Griffiths
Sister Edith Beeston
Alfred Edwards
Thomas Davies
Richard H. Rees

 

 

Second World War: 1939-1945

Second World War Memorial

The inscription: "In proud memory of those who laid down their lives in the War 1939-1945."

 

 

St Anne's First World War

St Anne's Memorials
St Anne's Memorials
St Anne's Memorials
St Anne's Memorials

The four wooden panels of the St Anne's Memorial originally formed part of the pulpit at St Anne's Church, Cottrell Road, which was closed in 2015. They were restored by Mr Robert Stogdon and relocated to the South Wall of St Edward's Chancel. They were rededicated on Sunday 5th November 2017 by Revd Canon Stewart Lisk, Vicar of Roath.

This information was researched by Bill Berry and Patricia Cassidy.

Roll-of-Honour.com