||Wimereux was the Headquarters of the Q.M.A.A.C. during the 1914-18 war, and in 1919 it became the General Headquarters of the British Army. From October, 1914, onwards, Boulogne and Wimereux formed an important British hospital centre; and until June, 1918, the Medical Units at Wimereux buried their dead in the Communal Cemetery, the South-Eastern (or right-hand) half of which was set aside for British graves. Eleven plots were successively laid out, of which Plot VII contains Portuguese and Plot V German burials, and Plot XII (of three graves) and one grave of an officer are in the French half of the Cemetery. By June, 1918, the British half of the Cemetery was filled, and subsequent burials from the hospitals at Wimereux were carried out in the new British Cemetery at Terlincthun. During the 1939-45 War British Rear Headquarters moved from Boulogne to Wimereux for a few days in May 1940, prior to the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk. Thereafter Wimereux was in enemy hands, and the German Naval Headquarters were situated on the northern side of the town. After D-Day as we moved northwards it was shelled from Cap Griz-Nez, and was re-taken by the Canadian 1st Army on September 22nd, 1944. There are now nearly 3,000, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Among the Canadian dead is Lt.-Col. John McCrae, in whose memory a committee later presented a seat on the Southern wall of the Cemetery, and inscribed on it a verse of his poem, "In Flanders Fields." The British portion of the Cemetery falls 9.75 metres to the South-East and it is surrounded by a stone wall. The headstones are laid flat on the graves.