Husband of Florence P. Cottrell, of 51 Stallcourt Avenue, Roath. Native of Cardiff. B.A., Assistant Master, Ninian Park Council Schools, Cardiff.
Extracts from the Log Book of Roath Park Boys' School 1904:
30th May 1904: F.O.Cottrell, Pupil Teacher, has leave of Absence for the month in order to prepare for the matriculation Examination of the University of Wales.
2nd September 1904: Pupil Teacher F.O.Cottrell leaves for college at the end of this month.
|Cemetery:||WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY, Pas de Calais, France|
|Grave Reference/Panel Number:||II. E. IA.|
|Location:||Wimereux is a small town situated about 5 kilometres north of Boulogne. From Boulogne take the A16 to Calais and come off at Junction 4. Take the road to Wimereux north, D242, for approximately 2 kilometres, following the road through the roundabout. Take the first turn on the left immediately after the roundabout and the Cemetery lies approximately 200 metres down this road on the left hand side. The Commonwealth War Graves are situated to the rear of the Communal Cemetery.|
|Historical Information:||Wimereux was the Headquarters of the Q.M.A.A.C. during the 1914-18 war, and in 1919 it became the General Headquarters of the British Army. From October, 1914, onwards, Boulogne and Wimereux formed an important British hospital centre; and until June, 1918, the Medical Units at Wimereux buried their dead in the Communal Cemetery, the South-Eastern (or right-hand) half of which was set aside for British graves. Eleven plots were successively laid out, of which Plot VII contains Portuguese and Plot V German burials, and Plot XII (of three graves) and one grave of an officer are in the French half of the Cemetery. By June, 1918, the British half of the Cemetery was filled, and subsequent burials from the hospitals at Wimereux were carried out in the new British Cemetery at Terlincthun. During the 1939-45 War British Rear Headquarters moved from Boulogne to Wimereux for a few days in May 1940, prior to the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk. Thereafter Wimereux was in enemy hands, and the German Naval Headquarters were situated on the northern side of the town. After D-Day as we moved northwards it was shelled from Cap Griz-Nez, and was re-taken by the Canadian 1st Army on September 22nd, 1944. There are now nearly 3,000, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Among the Canadian dead is Lt.-Col. John McCrae, in whose memory a committee later presented a seat on the Southern wall of the Cemetery, and inscribed on it a verse of his poem, "In Flanders Fields." The British portion of the Cemetery falls 9.75 metres to the South-East and it is surrounded by a stone wall. The headstones are laid flat on the graves.|