In Memory of


Second Lieutenant
1st Bn., Monmouthshire Regiment
who died on
Tuesday, 29th August 1916. Age 27.

Additional Information: Son of D. Lloyd Richards and Elizabeth Richards, of 156, Newport Rd Cardiff.

Commemorative Information

Grave Reference/Panel Number: III. A. 7.
Location: Warlincourt and Saulty are villages on either side of the main road (N25) between Arras (22 kilometres) and Doullens (13 kilometres). Warlincourt Halte British Cemetery is situated just off the north side of the road. Large signs clearly indicate access 200 metres before the site coming from either direction.
Historical Information: The site of the cemetery was chosen in May 1916. It was used from June, 1916, to May, 1917, by the 20th and 43rd Casualty Clearing Stations, in February, 1917, by the 1/1st South Midland, and from April till June, 1917, by the 32nd. The whole of plots VII, VIII, IX and X were filled in April and May, 1917, the months of the Battles of Arras. From June, 1917, the cemetery was practically unused until the fighting of May and June, 1918, when Field Ambulances buried in it. After the Armistice the cemetery was increased by graves brought in from the small British cemeteries at Gaudiempre, La Herliere and Couturelle. There are now over 1,200, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. The cemetery covers an area of 5,545 square metres. The small cemeteries concentrated into Warlincourt Halte British Cemetery were the following:- GAUDIEMPRE MILITARY CEMETERY contained 33 British graves, and lay on the South-East side of the village of Guadiempre near the road to St. Amand. It was used from June, 1916, to April, 1918, chiefly by the Field Ambulances of the Divisions in the sector. COURTURELLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION contained 10 British graves. It was East of the village, on the South side of the road to Gombremetz; and it was used by Field Ambulances and fighting units from April, 1916, to February, 1917. LA HERLIERE MILITARY CEMETERY lay between the villages of La Herliere and Larbret. It was used from June, 1916, to January, 1917, by Field Ambulances and fighting units, and contained 13 British graves.