||Two British soldiers were buried in the West corner of the Communal Cemetery in 1916 and 1917; the Military Cemetery was not opened until April, 1918, when the German Offensive in Flanders had begun and the 2nd Canadian and 3rd Australian Casualty Clearing Stations came to Esquelbecq. The Cemetery was closed in September 1918; but a French Colonial soldier was buried in it in February 1919, and the body of a British soldier who died in 1916 was brought in from an isolated grave. The 42 American graves in Plot V (to the West of Plot III), dating from June to September, 1918, were removed after the Armistice. There are now over 600, 1914-18 and nearly 50, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, 30 from the 1939-45, whose graves could not be precisely located are commemorated by special memorials inscribed "Buried near this spot". The cemetery covers an area of 2,520 square metres.