A much larger crowd watches as the fire is extinguished.
A fortnight before the fire, on August 27th, a meeting at Roath Church House had decided that there should be a Parish Church War Memorial. Immediately after the fire, in the October Parish Magazine, it was suggested by Canon Beck that the parish make a permanent St Edward's Church as a memorial for the whole parish, of those who fell in the War.
The Union Assurance Society Ltd paid the full insurance value of £2500, but would not entertain any claim with respect to the new organ, which was not included in the Policy of insurance. The salvage was put out to tender, and produced a further £95 (the highest of ten tenders). The first St Edward's was demolished in October 1919.
The Vicar, Canon Beck, was ill at the time of the fire. He was able to attend a meeting of St Edward's Committee on 5th October, but it was to be his last. He resigned on 28th October after 40 years in the Parish, 36 of them as Vicar.
Many items survived the fire and were stored for use in the new Church.
The cause of the blaze of 1919 was never established. At the time it was seen as a terrible disaster, but with hindsight it could be argued that the destruction of the iron church made possible a re-building programme which eventually produced a better church building and a greater sense of identity for the congregation than may ever have been achieved without the fire.