St Edward's History: Items that survived the fire

Many items survived the fire of 1919 and were stored for use in the new Church.  240 chairs were rescued, 180 of which were kindly stored by David Morgan’s in The Hayes.  The remaining 60 chairs were stored at Roath Church House.  Over 100 of these chairs, which may be seen in the photograph of the interior of the old church, were in use at St Edward's until as recently as January 1993 when they were replaced by the present red upholstered nave chairs.  A few of the old chairs are still used in the vestry.

Other items which have survived to this day include the brass altar cross, given by the Girls’ Friendly Society and inscribed “Presented by members of the GFS Roath AD 1915”.  This was stored by Mr John Grimes, who had it relacquered and restored it for use again on the High Altar.  Two brass altar candlesticks also survived.  They were thought to have been given by the mother of Viscount Sankey.  Sadly these candlesticks were stolen when the church was burgled in July 1988.

The silver chalice, silver ciborium and silver flagon survived the fire, but the chalice, silver and gilt inside, was damaged.  It is inscribed underneath the base “Church of St Edward, Roath, AD 1915”.  After the fire it had to be repaired and straightened.  The ciborium, in an oak case, has the inscription “A Thank Offering to the Glory of God by Edward Hurford AD 1916 - Church of St Edward Roath”.  The flagon was given by Miss Ormesby in 1918.  The chalice is the smaller of the two regularly used at the Eucharist.

The brass missal desk, still in regular use, also survived the fire.  Its base is inscribed “To the Glory of God in Memory of John S. Taylor who entered into rest Nov.25 1914”.  (The original Temporary Buildings Licence for the church was granted to Mr J.S.Taylor on 1st July 1914.)  The brass font ewer, inscribed “One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism” also came from the original church.  A silver bowl and a baptismal shell, used at all baptisms in St Edward's, were given to the old church.  The silver and mother of pearl shell is inscribed “In loving memory of Sybil daughter of E. & M. Tildesley” and the silver bowl is inscribed “A.M.D.G. The gift of Elizabeth Williams to commemorate the opening of the Church of St Edward the Confessor, Roath A.D. 1915”.